When talking about books in the past, I’ve been confronted with a lot of readers talking about why they choose not to buy a particular book. I keep wondering whether that kind of feedback is a marketer’s dream or nightmare. So much of the reasons I’ve seen contradict each other.
I’ve started a list under the cut. Feel free to add on to it.
1. The character is a legacy character, and you don’t like the replacement.
2. Or you do like the replacement but don’t like how the last character was handled.
3. You don’t like the writer’s style.
4. Or grasp of the characters.
5. Or political beliefs.
6. Or sense of humor.
7. Repeat 3-6 with the artist.
8. And the editor.
9. Or the Editor In Chief.
10. The ad campaign was too long.
14. The comic is ____ist. Just fill in the blank with whatever.
15. The comic is too much like every other comic out there.
16. Or too little.
17. The character has a trait that’s just a little too common or too rare.
18. From day one the book is caught up in events.
19. Or it’s left out entirely of the larger universe.
20. Too dark, too light, too bland, too self-referential.
21. A character you don’t like is added to the mix.
22. A character you like is taken out.